Bantaba in Cyberspace
Bantaba in Cyberspace
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
 All Forums
 Politics Forum
 Politics: Gambian politics
 Gambia Corruption

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List
Videos: Google videoYoutubeFlash movie Metacafe videoQuicktime movieWindows Media videoReal Video

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Momodou Posted - 13 Jul 2013 : 10:55:34
The following is culled from Kibaro Radio. I hope more of these disgusting judges and lawyers are exposed like this. Good job well done, keep it up.

--------

Videos Expose Corruption of Jobarteh, Chief Justice | Kibaaro News

YouTube Videos posted online in two series – parts 1 and 2 – have exposed the corrupt practices of the Gambia’s dismissed Minister of Justice Lamin Jobarteh and Chief Justice Joseph Wowo.

The former Justice Minister threatened an opposing party to accept six hundred thousand Dalasis or lose millions. Both parties have their Nigerian lawyers present at a meeting held at the residence of Justice Jobarteh.

In the the two videos posted by theinformer9849, Jobarteh and Wowo were heard negotiating with two accused persons that have pending cases in court. The accused persons met with Justice Jobarteh at his home where they paid for their cases to be buried under the carpet.

The video exposes Justice Wowo forcing one of the parties to offer something, although he had repeatedly admitted that his action was wrong. Justice Wowo said he should not have been present at such a meeting.

Ironically, Justice Wowo who is now appointed the Chief Justice of the Gambia asked one of the accused persons to pay something if he did not want to lose his pending case at the court. In the end, Justice Wowo backed down.

Source: Kibaaro News

Gambia Corruption (Part 1 of 2)

Gambia Corruption (Part 2 of 2)

15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
toubab1020 Posted - 23 Jun 2014 : 11:18:39
Yes, Kobo THIS IS POLITICS ! different struggles for differing reasons,but ALL essentially about POWER AND MONEY

Over 2000 reads from only 4 posters, no one else have an opinion ? disappointing.
kobo Posted - 23 Jun 2014 : 08:12:51
quote:
Originally posted by toubab1020

Ah Yes
David Cameron,personally I like Boris Johnson,a much more entertaining politician,have look at this U tube clip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=877Z4yObMjs

(Admin a bit off topic I know but isn't all politico speak off topic anyway ?
Sorry )

David Cameron timely addressed "BRITISHNESS" & referred to "MAGANA CARTA" (i.e. The Charter for foundation of freedom, rule of law, law enforcement, justice, good governance, sound democratic structures and institutions Britain is thriving on) were main reasons he is QUOTED but nothing to do with his personality, charisma, leadership and party policies or politics.

In contrast to our so-called fledgling democratic country (i.e The Gambia); struggling with ethics, rampant corruption, accountability, transparency, hostile political climate, bad governance, abuse of power and yet to fine tune the nation's democratic structures; inter alia; to the extend of weakening or killing the judiciary and corruption is a menace affecting all sectors of society
toubab1020 Posted - 23 Jun 2014 : 00:02:33
Ah Yes
David Cameron,personally I like Boris Johnson,a much more entertaining politician,have look at this U tube clip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=877Z4yObMjs

(Admin a bit off topic I know but isn't all politico speak off topic anyway ?
Sorry )

kobo Posted - 22 Jun 2014 : 21:47:38
Toubab 1020

Your input is highly appreciated but we should try to confer; carry on a discussion or deliberation to make topic more interesting, educative and beneficial

Thanks for being active and COMMENDATION TO BRITS ON YOUR OBSERVATION! GOD SAVE THE QUEEN & BRITISH EMPIRE!
quote:
'Way to democracy'

In 2015 it will be 800 years since King John put his seal on the Magna Carta, the document which first established the king was subject to the law.

Mr Cameron said he wanted all pupils to take lessons on the charter to mark the anniversary.

"The remaining copies... may have faded," he wrote. "But its principles shine as brightly as ever, and they paved the way for the democracy, the equality, the respect and the laws that make Britain, Britain."....."

SOURCE: Cameron: 'Stop being bashful about Britishness'
toubab1020 Posted - 22 Jun 2014 : 21:31:09
"It wasn't "blame" game or "indulging in politico speak" but comment was not proper to bring forth

Furthermore you made political statements and " indulging in politico speak"

Hmmmmmmmm,strange, I thought that I was making an observation of the words used by Mama Fatima Singhateh in her speech in the topic titled Gambia Corruption and your postings under that topic.

I do hope that a return to the days of conflict discussion on Bantaba in Cyberspace is not immanent,although postings from members have been short of late

kobo Posted - 22 Jun 2014 : 16:13:40
quote:

Here again The British are to blame for coining the word lawyer in the year 1377,...

ITS ABOUT ETYMOLOGY OR THE HISTORICAL FACT ON ENGLISH WORD "LAWYER" & A VERY GOOD ANSWER FOR Where did the word lawyer come from?

It wasn't "blame" game or "indulging in politico speak" but comment was not proper to bring forth

Furthermore you made political statements and " indulging in politico speak"

Thanks
toubab1020 Posted - 22 Jun 2014 : 11:54:53
Kobo, Thanks, I understand,"are you are running out of steam or suffering PARANOID" are probably correct, just like you I am proud of my country,look a little deeper into my words that I used in response to the words used in your own posting i.e.:

"The president of The Gambia Bar Association has challenged lawyers in the judicial sector to maintain standards at all times, stressing that they are supposed to be problem solvers and not otherwise."

I hope this clarification helps and I am not indulging in politico speak !

kobo Posted - 22 Jun 2014 : 07:11:44
quote:

Here again The British are to blame for coining the word lawyer in the year 1377,I wonder if any mathematician has calculated the amount of money that has been obtained by these individuals since 1377 ,bet its quite a lot . Cynical me ?

Where did the word lawyer come from?

It goes without saying,doesn't it?

1. Toubab 1020 are you are running out of steam or suffering PARANOID (..of Britishness)

CREDIT TO THE BRITS (FOR ORIGIN OF WORD OR DEVELOPMENT OF ENGLISH VOCAB AND LANGUAGE FOR COMMUNICATION) & IT IS NOT BLAMING ANYONE for "coining" it.

ANSWER GIVEN is simply stated that;
  • "Lawyer is entirely an English word; first attested in 1377, from Middle English lawe "law"+ "purveyor" suffix -iere. Spelling with -y- first attested 1611."

quote:

Of “So lawyers must be truthful, credible, committed to the profession and sincere,” she stressed, adding: “It is expected for the young lawyers to be committed to the constitution, rule of law and to strive to promote the ideals of good governance, which are the foundation upon which they will build other values and responsibilities.

2. REFER Do the best lawyers come from Harvard? ANSWER QUOTED:
  • "No. There are many good law schools, and more important than the school is the person."
toubab1020 Posted - 21 Jun 2014 : 20:20:12
Here again The British are to blame for coining the word layer in the year 1377,I wonder if any mathematician has calculated the amount of money that has been obtained by these individuals since 1377 ,bet its quite a lot . Cynical me ?

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Where_did_the_word_lawyer_come_from

It goes without saying,doesn't it?

Of “So lawyers must be truthful, credible, committed to the profession and sincere,” she stressed, adding: “It is expected for the young lawyers to be committed to the constitution, rule of law and to strive to promote the ideals of good governance, which are the foundation upon which they will build other values and responsibilities.

kobo Posted - 20 Jun 2014 : 19:08:21
Lawyers are not troublemakers, but… – Bar Association chief

Daily Observe: Published on Friday, June 20, 2014

The president of The Gambia Bar Association has challenged lawyers in the judicial sector to maintain standards at all times, stressing that they are supposed to be problem solvers and not otherwise.

Lawyer Loubna Farage was speaking recently during the enrollment ceremony of 18 newly qualified lawyers into the Gambian Bar. She argued that a legal system that fails to respond to the needs of the society in which it operates, risks being an impediment rather than a facilitator of the growth of that society. But even worse, she said it risks the creation of a lawless and undisciplined society in which the law is trampled upon and impunity is given free rein.

The Bar Association chief put it to the young lawyers that they have a role to play in helping to build a more credible profession as demanded and expected by their colleagues in the Bar and the society. Farage underscored that law must be responsive to the needs of the society else it ceases to be functional.

“So lawyers must be truthful, credible, committed to the profession and sincere,” she stressed, adding: “It is expected for the young lawyers to be committed to the constitution, rule of law and to strive to promote the ideals of good governance, which are the foundation upon which they will build other values and responsibilities.”.........Full Report
kobo Posted - 13 Jun 2014 : 14:19:47
RELATED BANTABA TOPIC Lawyer Ebrima Jah charged with corruption
kobo Posted - 12 Jun 2014 : 17:28:11
1. DAILY OBSERVER NEWS;

2. THE POINT NEWS;

3. RELATED BANTABA TOPICS;
toubab1020 Posted - 24 Oct 2013 : 13:52:44
This case rumbles on and on with confusion and unreliability evident in very much of the testimony that has been heard,the judge,Justice Emmanuel Nkea ,will have to have the judgement of Solomon (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_view_of_Solomon) in order to bring this case to a just conclusion on the evidence given before the court.
Momodou Posted - 24 Oct 2013 : 10:49:42
Dutch businessman testifies in Wowo/Jobarteh trial

By Lamin Sanyang
Foroyaa:Published on Wednesday, 23 October 2013

Mr. Andre Sape Van Klaabergen, a Dutch businessman residing in the country, has yesterday, Tuesday, 23 October, testified as a prosecution witness in the trial involving the state versus Joseph Wowo, former Chief Justice of The Gambia and Mr. Lamin A.M.S. Jobarteh, former Attorney General and Minister of Justice, who are both standing trial before Justice Emmanuel Nkea of the Special Criminal Division of the Banjul High Court. When the case was called, the state was represented by Legenju Vitalisn, while lawyers Uzoma and Borry S. Touray announced their appearance for the first accused (Wowo) and second accused (Jobarteh) respectively. In his evidence in chief, the prosecution witness introduced himself to the court as Andre Sape Van Klaabergen. He said he is a Dutch national and deals in solar business in the country. He said he knows the second accused (Jobarteh) and met the first accused (Wowo) at a meeting held at Jobarteh’s house. The witness said they bought a plot at Bijilo in 2005. He said the second accused (Jobarteh) was his lawyer at the time. He said they received a letter for occupying the property of Mr. Bernd George Diedrich in July/August 2006. He said he contacted his lawyer (Jobarteh) who arranged a meeting with Mr. Bernd George Diedrich and Mr. Alieu Barry. ..

Read Full Story
Momodou Posted - 05 Sep 2013 : 10:41:19
Ex-Chief Justice Wowo asked for an offer not bribe, Witness tells court

By: Malamin L.M. Conteh

The Point: Published on Wednesday, September 04, 2013

Former Chief Justice Joseph Wowo requested for an offer from a Dutch businessman, but did not solicited any bribe, the state witness in the ongoing trial against Wowo and former Justice Minister Lamin Jobarteh yesterday told the Special Criminal Court.

‘‘Wowo was requesting for an offer so that they could negotiate, and did not solicit any bribe from anybody in that meeting,’’ the witness told the court.

Alieu Barry, who is the second state witness, made the revelation while continuing his testimony in the trial involving Wowo and Lamin AMS Jobarteh before Justice Emmanuel Nkea.

Joseph Wowo and Lamin AMS Jobarteh are being tried on a thirteen-count indictment which include abuse of office, conspiracy to defeat Justice and interference with witnesses, offences relating to Judicial proceeding, to giving false information, which they had denied.

Yesterday’s proceedings saw the tendering of the CD, following a ruling delivered by the court, after an earlier objection by the defence to the tendering of the CD.

Justice Nkea, in his ruling, stated among other things that sufficient foundation had been laid and the objection lacked merit, and admitted the CD as an exhibit.

Continuing his testimony, Barry added that in addition to what he had said, there was an affidavit which was published in Today newspaper by his lawyer, Christopher Mene.

“This was drafted by Mene and he asked me to sign it regarding Mr Wowo’s unethical professional standard,” he said, adding that according to Mr Mene, he was going to use it in Nigeria and not in The Gambia.

He stated that in connection to the information found on YouTube, it was wrongly interpreted.

“I went to the YouTube myself where I found a comment on it that a Nigerian judge was requesting a bribe from a Dutchman,” he testified.

Barry said that Justice Wowo was asking the Dutchman to offer something, which was wrongly interpreted.

The witness also told the court that the affidavit that was published in Today newspaper was not done with his consent.

“I did not ask Mr Mene to prepare any affidavit for me. I only signed the said affidavit because what Mene told me was what I found on the internet, that is, ‘Mr Wowo’s unethical professional standard’ which was in question,” Barry further told the court.

At this juncture, he appealed to the court for the CD to be played in court so that he could listen to it to confirm its content.

The CD was then played in an open court, and after listening to the contents of the CD, he confirmed it.

He continued to state that when the affidavit was published in The Gambia, he did not do anything, as he did not have the capability to do anything.

Justice Wowo said he was at the meeting to chair the meeting, and to mediate, Barry said.

Under cross-examination by defence counsel Uzuma, the witness stated that Justice Wowo said that he would not preside over the case, when the matter came to court.

He maintained that the 1st accused, Joseph Wowo, did not solicit any bribe at that meeting held at the residence of the ex-Justice Minister Jobarteh.

He did not make any complaint against the 1st accused, Wowo, anywhere, Barry added.

The case continues today.

Source: The Point

Bantaba in Cyberspace © 2005-2024 Nijii Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. User Policy, Privacy & Disclaimer | Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06