Posted - 09 Jun 2019 : 12:00:15
By Tony Ceesay
In Gambia it is known as "black sand" not its real name ZIRCON, a use of words deliberately designed to undermine its value. This he geological conditions which makes Senegal one of the worlds leading sources, at the same as Gambia, they do not stop at the border. WHO IS MINING ZIRCON IN GAMBIA? The contract was given to GACH, the same company that imported all those weapons! How much is the public share of this wealth?
Look at the facts on Zircon from Senegal and understand the value of what is in the soil:
Did you know that more than 10% of Zircon's global reserves are in Senegal?
Zircon is a gemstone that goes into the construction of nuclear reactors, fuel cells, electrochemical pumps, oxygen sensors, building materials.
The 4th largest zircon deposit in the world is located in Senegal, in the Niayes zone, in Diogo.
- The Diogo mine stretches for more than 100km along the great coast.
- It produces 80000 tonnes of zircon per year (7% of world production)
- 90% of the shares belong to a Franco-Australian consortium (MDL and Eramet)
- only 10% come back to Senegal
- A ton of zircon is sold at a minimum of € 970, or 635,335 francs CFA.
- Therefore the amount of annual production is estimated at € 77,600,000, or 50,828,000,000 CFA francs.
- In addition to Zircon, on the same site, they also exploit another ore, almenite (600000 tonnes / year), which is also used in the steel industry and in the pigment industry.
- Despite the financial mania it derives from the exploitation of our subsoil and the negative impacts on the land and on the economy (expropriation of peasants and herders) of the Niayes zone, the company employs than 700 Senegalese, generally in over-exploited positions, with low wages, and precarious and revocable contracts.
- The State of Senegal has transferred another mine to Astron in the south of the country, in Niafourang, Casamance. But the local population refuses the installation of the project.
Only one question is inexorably for us. What does Senegal win? What will we bequeath to our sons?
What is certain is that no one has the right to say "sama yone nekoussi" - it does not concern me.
A clear concience fears no accusation - proverb from Sierra Leone