Bantaba in Cyberspace
Bantaba in Cyberspace
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Education Forum
 Education
 SOS FAYE ON LOCAL LANGUAGE INSTRUCTIONS IN SCHOOLS
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
| More
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Momodou

Denmark
8991 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2006 :  16:07:50  Show Profile Send Momodou a Private Message
SOS FAYE ON LOCAL LANGUAGE INSTRUCTIONS IN SCHOOLS

By Abdoulie Dibba

Responding to a question raised by Sidia Jatta the National Assembly Member for Wuli West, regarding the Governments Policy on the teaching of local languages in Schools.
It has been scientifically proven that a child learns a second language more quickly and with much ease after he/ she has been formally ground in his/ her mother’s tongue; considering the general declined of standards in the school in which English language is the first casualty. SOS Fatou Lamin Faye indicated that the Department of state for Education has taken cognisance of research finding, indicating that a child learns a second language more quickly and with much ease after formal grounding in the mother tongue. In view of this, SOS Faye said that one policy objective is to introduce the teaching of the five most commonly used languages- Wollof, Pulaar, Mandinka, Jola and Sarahule at the basic, senior secondary, tertiary and higher education levels as subjects. She said it would be immensely difficult to teach every child in his/her mother tongue. She said the education policy states that during the first three years of basic Education (grade1-3), the medium of instruction will be in the dominant Language of the area in which the child lives.

English she said will be taught as subjects from grade 4 SOS Fatou Lamin Faye Pointed out that she is pleased to report “the implementations of these policy pronouncements have already began. She said the Department of state for Education has over the past years developed primers and readers for four national language; namely Mandinka Pularr Wollof and Jola. She said the materials have been piloted in all the educational regions and selected teachers have been trained in the pilot school”. SOS Faye went further to say that plans are now afoot to finalise the draft materials and train all teachers in the use of National Languages as medium of instruction in the early years of schooling.

Source: Foroyaa Newspaper Burning Issue
Issue No. 57/2006, 26- 27 July, 2006

Sister Omega

United Kingdom
2085 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2006 :  13:46:05  Show Profile  Visit Sister Omega's Homepage Send Sister Omega a Private Message
This is a positive development as members of the forum may remember that we had robust debates at the turn of last year about this topic. It will be very interesting to see how this policy will be monitored and evaluated to deliver local languages in schools.

Peace

Sister Omega

Peace
Sister Omega
Go to Top of Page

jojo

United Kingdom
40 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2006 :  09:56:21  Show Profile Send jojo a Private Message
Yes I am really pleased at that too. I would like to see children being able to talk their local language without fear at nursery level too.Denying them a means of expression is very damaging. No reason why they can't learn English at the same time. But Momodou - where do you get all these news items? I can't find them online - the All Africa site didn't have anything about the flooding either.
Go to Top of Page

Jack

Belgium
384 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2006 :  11:56:24  Show Profile Send Jack a Private Message
Yes Momodou,

where do you get the informatian of FOROYAA. Untill a few months ago there was a link to a site. Since then I couldn't find it neither.
ci jamaa
Go to Top of Page

Momodou

Denmark
8991 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2006 :  12:11:27  Show Profile Send Momodou a Private Message
From Foroyaa by mail! What is the name of the site you couldn't find?
Go to Top of Page

jojo

United Kingdom
40 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2006 :  09:16:29  Show Profile Send jojo a Private Message
Sorry Momodou - I can't find the Forayya site either. But this article bothers me. It has tremendous implications for the Nursery Schools. If the medium of instruction is going to be the predominant local language, then the nursery schools will not need to concentrate so much on the acquisition of English, but how many schools know of this plan? Has it been widely publicised? What is in the flipping White Paper on Early Years Education that the Department of Education talks about?
Go to Top of Page

jambo

3300 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2006 :  10:21:35  Show Profile Send jambo a Private Message
i am interested to know when this becomes law. i am sure some nursery schools will not practice it. I agree that the schools could practice both, but does it mean that the learning materials will be printed in both languages. for children who go to nursery school they have an advantage over children who enter the main scool stream at 6, they already speak english.
For some schools a requirement to speak english and know the alphabet is essential.
Go to Top of Page

ranga

USA
149 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2006 :  09:39:31  Show Profile  Visit ranga's Homepage Send ranga a Private Message
Is the implication that English will not be taught in grades 1, 2 and 3? What is the current state of affairs?

A number of peoples around the world (French included) worry about English wiping out their languages. So, it may not be a bad thing to emphasize teaching Gambian languages. But I suppose there is no need to handicap Gambian children by not teaching them English in the first 3 grades.

T.K. "Ranga" Rengarajan
Founder, Geoseed Project
http://www.geoseedproject.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
| More
Jump To:
Bantaba in Cyberspace © 2005-2018 Nijii Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. User Policy, Privacy & Disclaimer | Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06