Bantaba in Cyberspace
Bantaba in Cyberspace
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Politics Forum
 Politics: Gambian politics
 Darboe: Five Year transition could be legendary!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
| More
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

dbaldeh

USA
933 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2010 :  08:55:15  Show Profile  Visit dbaldeh's Homepage Send dbaldeh a Private Message
So far it is known in the public domains that these are few of the disagreements partly preventing a break through for an opposition unity. Although this may not be official and have not been discussed at the table, but from public statements made by both sides, we know the following are some of the disagreements.

PDOIS unofficial positions?:

1. Electorates to select a flagbearer from all opposition parties through primary elections across the country and whoever gets the most votes become the flagbearer (Not clear whether only opposition leaders are allowed to contest or independent candidates will be allowed too)

2. The selected leader from the primaries will contest elections from a neutral party platform - example under a format similar to NADD...

3. The selected flagbearer will agree to lead a transition period of 5 years during which constitutional changes will be effected to allow a genuine Multiparty level playing field - all parties can then contest elections within their merits.

UDP Unofficial position?:

1. All opposition parties should rally behind a UDP led coalition and Darboe as flagbearer to contest the 2011 elections against Jammeh

2. There shouldn't be any restrictions for 5 year transition and UDP should be free to form a government if the coalition wins the elections (although Darboe stated he will form a coalition government)

3. UDP - Primary elections to select a flagbearer from different opposition parties is not feasible and UDP will not participate in such a primary.

So far these are some of the known contentions we can learn through interviews and discussions with opposition leaders...

If these are the main sticking points, where do you think a compromise can be reached?

What position can each side compromise to strike a deal for a possible coalition?

Are there any other disagreements that we think can be compromised?

My honest opinion is that most of these positions can be compromised...

The most sticking point for me as related to this subject heading is that in the absents of anything that resembles a compromise which will spell disaster for all opposition parties come 2011, I honestly think it would be honorable for Mr. Darboe to accept to lead a five year transition.

What would be more heroic and honorable for Mr. Darboe and the UDP which may have only one more chance for Darboe to contest Presidential elections to lead a transition government which will restore genuine Democracy, rule of law, freedom of the press and political affiliation in the Gambia?

What lasting political legacy would Mr. Darboe made to Gambia's political history if he is the one to lead our nation to such a destiny?

Would this not be more honorable than not agreeing to a five year transition only for all opposition parties to lose and Jammeh to consolidate more power for another 10 years?

I know that there may be more hidden disagreements but if all of us can digest these few issues and strike a compromise, we will be making history...

What is your opinion on the disagreements and where do you think a compromise can be reached?!! Please lets focus on the positives and see if we can find a solution!!!

Thanks for reading

Baldeh,
"Be the change you want to see in the world" Ghandi
Visit http://www.gainako.com for your daily news and politics

Nyarikangbanna

United Kingdom
1382 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2010 :  17:07:25  Show Profile Send Nyarikangbanna a Private Message
''2. There shouldn't be any restrictions for 5 year transition and UDP should be free to form a government if the coalition wins the elections (although Darboe stated he will form a coalition government)''-DBaldeh

What an utter nonsense! If PDOIS wants a five year transition after which all parties will go their separate ways and contest subsequent elections in their own right, what is there to bother anyone when in fact there is always going to be an election after every five years. The truth is there is nobody in authority within the UDP who has opined anything like this in public. So this is not even an unofficial position of the UDP but Demba Baldeh's own classical fabrications. I can assure everyone here that this is nothing but utter nonsense. Instead of holding onto erroneous perspections about the UDP, I think those who truely want to see a coalition should start asking PDOIS to accept UDP's invitation for talks rather than standing here and propagating baseless and unfounded stories.

I agree with the author though that points 1 and 2 are unofficial UDP positions saved for where it says ''Darboe as flag bearer'', as they are opined by various people of authority within the UDP. The UDP will obviously choose a flag bearer at the appropriate time but as of now, what they have is a party leader who happens to be a potential candidate for the flagbearership.

Regards

I do not oppose unity but I oppose dumb union.

Edited by - Nyarikangbanna on 04 Oct 2010 17:26:31
Go to Top of Page

dbaldeh

USA
933 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2010 :  23:53:07  Show Profile  Visit dbaldeh's Homepage Send dbaldeh a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Nyarikangbanna

''2. There shouldn't be any restrictions for 5 year transition and UDP should be free to form a government if the coalition wins the elections (although Darboe stated he will form a coalition government)''-DBaldeh

What an utter nonsense! If PDOIS wants a five year transition after which all parties will go their separate ways and contest subsequent elections in their own right, what is there to bother anyone when in fact there is always going to be an election after every five years. The truth is there is nobody in authority within the UDP who has opined anything like this in public. So this is not even an unofficial position of the UDP but Demba Baldeh's own classical fabrications. I can assure everyone here that this is nothing but utter nonsense. Instead of holding onto erroneous perspections about the UDP, I think those who truely want to see a coalition should start asking PDOIS to accept UDP's invitation for talks rather than standing here and propagating baseless and unfounded stories.

I agree with the author though that points 1 and 2 are unofficial UDP positions saved for where it says ''Darboe as flag bearer'', as they are opined by various people of authority within the UDP. The UDP will obviously choose a flag bearer at the appropriate time but as of now, what they have is a party leader who happens to be a potential candidate for the flagbearership.

Regards

Mr. Daffeh, I honestly don't know what you are angry about or why you are so hateful of a topic that is purely meant for us to discuss the problems confronting the opposition.

If that is not the official or unofficial position of the UDP, why not just state what their position is on a five year transition.

Why can't you just swallow your over zealous obsession of anything about UDP and help shape a better future???

Nyari, everyone here knows that you and I have had our disagreements but I don't think as mature individuals that should prevent us from discussing the issues openly and frankly without name calling...

We have all made mistakes in going negative and I take personal responsibility of my lapses on this issue. The stakes are simply too high for us to continue on this road year after year!!!

Daffeh, I have no personal hatred or dislike for you, I have never met you and don't know your background. Our disagreements are squarely on our political views...

Do you simply hate my person and cannot read anything I have written with an open mind?

I would like to make you a deal because you and I have something in common, we both have lot of passion and interest in the well being of our country. We both spend enormous time and resources fighting for Democracy and freedom for our people...

Simply because we disagree should not be a be all and end all. Possibly just possibly you and I may one day sit at the same table or opposite tables and discuss our national interest.

Should our online disagreements impede our genuine struggle for our nation? Should we allow petty things to be on the way of our national discourse? I think not Daffeh!!!

If you cannot discuss the issues clean and simple with me why not we make peace and stop responding to each other's postings...

I simply think that this route has never been and will never be helpful to our efforts. Our responsibilities and participation for our national discourse have grown and therefore we should find a way to compromise...

We are humans and we must learn from our experiences and shape a better future!!!

I disagree with some of your positions but I do not hate you and I hope you don't hate me either... Gambia belongs to all of us. We all have stake in what is happening in the Gambia.

We have a moral duty to take a different route. Everyone knows I can hit back hard and without hesitation. But something tells me it is time to take a different approach. Would you shake hands and call this endless bickering a history?!!!! Am ready to move on if you are... peace

Thanks

Baldeh,
Go to Top of Page

kobo

United Kingdom
7765 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2010 :  09:48:05  Show Profile Send kobo a Private Message
WHERE CAN'T YOU CHALLENGE US ON THE OFFICIAL POSITIONS/FACTS THERE IS THE NEED TO STAY OUT OF RETARD, PERSONAL VENDETTA, SMEARING CAMPAIGN, MIS-REPRESENTATION, DIS-INFORMATION & PEDDLING NEGATIVE VIEWS/OPINIONS

Please re-visit related Bantaba Gambian politics .. Gambian Online Journalism... topic under http://www.gambia.dk/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9822

These quotes from above are relevant; "introduced a bewildering range of rights which allows journalist and non journalist to use its online paper to settle entrenched rivalries. It creates the controversial legal journalism freedom concept under which non journalists would be able to use offensive language against each other.

Indeed, the closer you look, the harder it becomes to tell that openness does not mean freedom to abuse each other.
The ultimate indictment of today's journalism is that instead of becoming more ethical and responsive to the need of their readers, it seems to be going backwards, becoming more narrow, privileged and exclusive."

Edited by - kobo on 05 Oct 2010 09:54:56
Go to Top of Page

terangba

Egypt
225 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2010 :  15:39:01  Show Profile Send terangba a Private Message
Nyarikangbanna;

It is my humble opinion that you will be doing greater service to your party by being more diplomatic. Politics is an art of winning over the hearts and minds of opponents, people sitting on the fence and sometimes enemies. The Gambia will be no were near where it is right now politically if Sir Dawda did not use diplomatic means to win over former opponents and change the PPP into big tent party. I hope you will sit with yourself and think about your approach.

God gave men dominion over the beasts and not over his fellow men unless they submit of their own free will. - Napoleon
Go to Top of Page

Nyarikangbanna

United Kingdom
1382 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2010 :  17:10:19  Show Profile Send Nyarikangbanna a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by terangba

Nyarikangbanna;

It is my humble opinion that you will be doing greater service to your party by being more diplomatic. Politics is an art of winning over the hearts and minds of opponents, people sitting on the fence and sometimes enemies. The Gambia will be no were near where it is right now politically if Sir Dawda did not use diplomatic means to win over former opponents and change the PPP into big tent party. I hope you will sit with yourself and think about your approach.

Terangba, thanks for your comment but really, do u think it is helpful that people can come here to deliberately distort facts and misinform the readership when in fact it should be about people being honest in their opinions and stand to be respectfully corrected whenever they go wrong. Those who deserve my respect have always had it here. You must have followed my exchange with sankalan [Rene]. You can't tell me that wasn't respectful even though me and Rene hold different opinions and have different political affiliations. The truth is; this guy is out for distortion, not construction. He is the last I would like to see in the UDP.

Only just recently, he was part of a press conference in which the UDP leader participated, why didn't he ascertain his facts there first before coming out here with something as outlandish as this. This guy is a joke and doesnít deserve any respect. There is no bona fide UDP official who ever opined anything like this. So why didn't he just state it as his own opinion rather than deliberatly and maliciously misrepresenting the UDP. If he had stated it as his opinion, I would have respectfully correct him and move on.

This is what they did in 2006; going around saying Darboe does not want term limit that is why he pulled out of NADD when in fact UDP was the first to make term limit a centre-piece of their elecion programmes way back in 1996. Well, that kind of nonsense should no longer be allowed to go unchallenged, certainly not in this forum.

No party has so far put any proposal to the UDP containing a transitional agenda and no press interview have been conducted by any UDP official in that respect. Therefore, the UDP have had no oportunity whatsoever to comment on this. However, unless there are obnoxious hidden caveats attached to this that Halifa did not want the public to know about in which case it could be rejected, I do not see this as a potential contentious issue. Like I said before, there is always going to be election after every five years anyway. So why should anyone be bothered about a 5yr transition after which every party goes its way? I think people can be more helpful to the coalition initiative if they can encourage PDOIS to accept UDPís invitation for talks rather than fabricating and propagating unfounded stories based on their ill-concieved perspections of a particular political party. Nothing will be solved in the media. It has to be over the table.

Anyway, thanks for your advice.

Regards

I do not oppose unity but I oppose dumb union.

Edited by - Nyarikangbanna on 05 Oct 2010 18:33:54
Go to Top of Page

kobo

United Kingdom
7765 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2010 :  20:50:19  Show Profile Send kobo a Private Message
STOP BLAMING HALIFA/PDOIS ON DISTORTIONS, MIS-REPRESENTATIONS & MIS-INFORMATION PROPOSALS ON THE WAY FORWARD & AGENDA 2011 FOR PDOIS IS WRONGLY CONSTRUED UNDER THIS TOPIC; IN MY OPINION!

THE MEDIA HAS IMPORTANT ROLES & A STAKE IN SAVING THE GAMBIA DEMOCRACY & DEVELOPMENT OF OUR NATION. HOWEVER IT IS EVIDENT THAT THESE SORTS OF TOPICS ARE COUNTER-PRODUCTIVE & RETARDS ANY PROGRESS FOR SAVING THE POLITICAL DISASTERS THAT ENTANGLE OUR NATION?

ON A FINAL NOTE EVERY GAMBIAN IS ENTITLED TO SUPPORT ANY PARTY BASED ON CHOICE AND NONE CAN DENY THAT SOVEREIGNTY RIGHT OR FRANCHISE OPPORTUNITY TO ANYONE THEREFORE IT IS SHEER ARROGANCE TO STATE THIS DECLARATION AGAINST A COMPATRIOT; "He is the last I would like to see in the UDP". POLITICS OF HATE OR DIVIDE & RULE POLICY!

The Gambia Echo feature thisOPINION -UK Letter Writer Suggests Options For Change In The Gambia;How do we bring about change under http://www.thegambiaecho.com/Homepage/tabid/36/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/2071/Default.aspx

Edited by - kobo on 05 Oct 2010 21:07:55
Go to Top of Page

shaka

996 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2010 :  22:08:05  Show Profile Send shaka a Private Message
Prophesy!! Prophesy!! Jah! Rastafari! King of kings and Lord of lords! Conquering Lion of the tribe of Dobo!! Peace.
Go to Top of Page

dbaldeh

USA
933 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2010 :  22:10:15  Show Profile  Visit dbaldeh's Homepage Send dbaldeh a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by terangba

Nyarikangbanna;

"He is the last I would like to see in the UDP".

Terangba, it is fascinating how Nyarikang thinks about politics. This is exactly what is affecting his ability to see other people's view points on issues.

Does the UDP belong to any particular individual? Does any Gambian have a right to support any party they so desire?

If I want to support the UDP what will prevent me from doing so openly?

Didn't I ask a question at the press conference that pertains to this subject? Didn't I have exchanges with Darboe about what his format would be if he were to lead a coalition? Didn't I asked about the process Darboe uses to reach out to the other side?

It might be helpful to listen to the entire audio interview again:

https://www.transferbigfiles.com/0f3854ee-2336-4631-ab87-2bb82542fe70?rid=kyVTnck33fqiEw7lFrr%2brA%3d%3d

It is time Nyarikang recognize what is at stake and detach himself from personalizing what belongs to no one.

My call to Nyarikang again is to not allow differences to develop into hatred. He doesn't know who I am and have never met me or many other people here on Bantaba.

We are not talking about individuals here. We are talking about a nation that belongs to no single individual.

Everyone of us reserves the right to support anybody and any party. If I so desire I can come out right now and declare my support to the UDP and there is nothing anyone can do about it. The next thing you will notice I can be attending their meetings and nothing will come out of it.

I will tell you one thing, if I sit at the same table with anyone with that kind of a narrow view the person will hear it directly from me. There is simply no room for intolerance if your source of power is from the people.

Again, if Nyari wish well for the UDP and the Gambia, he would need to be more open and tolerance. His position is too extreme but again it is a learning curve and hopefully he will grow not only on book knowledge but also understanding of how the world works and the dynamics of politics...

I will tell you his views are very different from the very leader he supports. Most of the folks on the UDP side as I stated here time and again have an opposite view of what the UDP is supposed to look like...

I will not hold grudge against him because I think he is still learning and have a lot of growing to do.

Baldeh,
Go to Top of Page

Senegambia

175 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2010 :  22:58:22  Show Profile Send Senegambia a Private Message
I think all of us have to take responsibility for what we write or say in this forum. Even me who does not know much about party policies did raise my eyebrow when I read dbaldeh's "UDP nr. 2 unofficial position". And this was even before all these responses. I am surprised by how careless he can sometimes be in his formulations as they only result in portraying, in this case, UDP party unfairly. Even though I would have reacted differently, I fully understand why Nyari reacted the way he did.

Tesito

Go to Top of Page

kobo

United Kingdom
7765 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2010 :  11:24:07  Show Profile Send kobo a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Senegambia

I think all of us have to take responsibility for what we write or say in this forum. Even me who does not know much about party policies did raise my eyebrow when I read dbaldeh's "UDP nr. 2 unofficial position". And this was even before all these responses. I am surprised by how careless he can sometimes be in his formulations as they only result in portraying, in this case, UDP party unfairly. Even though I would have reacted differently, I fully understand why Nyari reacted the way he did.

WITH ALL SHORT-COMINGS OF dBaldeh's OPINIONS, ITS REALLY DISAPPOINTING & A DISGRACE TO ENDORSE ARROGANCE OR ENCOURAGE CONFRONTATION IN CONFLICTS

LETS SORT OUT OUR EGOES & ATTITUDES BEFORE ADDRESSING ANY NATIONAL ISSUE OR AGENDA!

GAMBI BELONGS TO ALL OF US!
Go to Top of Page

kobo

United Kingdom
7765 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2010 :  13:15:23  Show Profile Send kobo a Private Message
OFFICIAL SOURCE OF INFORMATION from Gambia now on-line news; Gambia News : Gambian opposition leader carpets Jammeh under http://www.gambianow.com/news/News/Gambian-opposition-leader-carpets-Jammeh-.html

HALIFA SALLAH opined to President Jammeh; "Mr. President, unlike you, we are telling the Gambian people that in 2011, they should elect a government that will last only for five years and the incumbent should preside over free and fair elections and leave office like Nelson Mandela."
Go to Top of Page

Ousman

USA
103 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2010 :  20:42:50  Show Profile  Visit Ousman's Homepage Send Ousman a Private Message
History, they say is prologue.But that doesn't mean we can't or shouldn't learn from it to make adjustments for the better. Opposition supporters have come to terms that a united front is our best shot at competing in any meaningful way against an entrenched dictatorship. What seems to be the sticking point is the modalities needed to bring about such a unity. To come up with the modalities requires acknowledging the differences that bridge the parties. To this end,the points Demba enumerated are germane to the discussion. They are the most thorny issues in this unity quest. We keep mouthing off about unity, but when confronted with the mechanism to achieving such a feat, we get cold feet and withdraw into our corners.

It is my opinion that the parties should form an alliance lead by the largest opposition party with the following understanding between the parties:

1. Formation of a coalition government lasting five years
2. Electoral and constitutional reform during the coalition governments' term
3. Parties to the alliance maintain their identity and freedom to organize during the term of the coalition
4. Members of the coalition government will not contest subsequent presidential elections
5. Coalition government members can endorse candidates for subsequent presidential elections (free speech and association).
6. Mobilize mass public campaigns to educate the population in their rights and duties as citizens (parties can do this as well).

These are some of the things that could help bridge the gap. I submit that the parties have smarter people in charge of their affairs than yours truly. Furthermore, I am not breaking any new grounds here. I have heard variances of these points made by numerous people. Pragmatism dictates that we give up something to gain some.The Gambia needs her opposition children to be pragmatic for her sake.

http://Gambian.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

shaka

996 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2010 :  00:56:40  Show Profile Send shaka a Private Message
What exactly is the difference between electing a UDP led coalition and electing the UDP party? Why is a UDP led coalition more pragmatic than say a coalition led by an independent person in as much as the conditions you have listed above is the mandate of any elected coalition government? People just need to be honest with themselves and declare their support for the UDP as their alternative government instead of trying to impose it on the rest of the opposition as the only genuine option to effect change in the Gambia. If you expect us to elect a UDP president and a UDP majority parliament then call that a coalition government then i'd say you are nuts. If the UDP want a party led coalition by virtue of their size then let them canvass for it and stop peddling this all-inclusive coalition nonsense by entrapping the rest of the opposition into an emotion blackmail in the guise of patriotism and love for country.
Go to Top of Page

terangba

Egypt
225 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2010 :  04:38:46  Show Profile Send terangba a Private Message
Shaka;
As the major opposition party why will UDP agree to join a coalition that will be led by an independent person? If Senegal and Gambia decide to become one country; who do you think will be the head of that state? It should be clear to all that UDP will not relinquish the leadership position to a minor party or an independent person and I will not fault the party for its stands on this issue. I think UDP should come out and advocate a party led coalition agenda, work to gain the trust and respect of other parties.

God gave men dominion over the beasts and not over his fellow men unless they submit of their own free will. - Napoleon

Edited by - terangba on 10 Oct 2010 04:40:26
Go to Top of Page

shaka

996 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2010 :  14:34:11  Show Profile Send shaka a Private Message
Terangba nobody is forcing UDP to join anything. If they are so fixated with entitlements above the common good then they by all means should pursue their claim. Just make sure you claim your mandate and birthright from the people and leave the rest of the opposition alone. What is it that the rest of the opposition have and/or owe the UDP that they should enthrone them at all cost? If you cannot fault the UDP for refusing to give up their claim why would you want to fault others for refusing to do the same thing.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
| More
Jump To:
Bantaba in Cyberspace © 2005-2017 Nijii Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.3 seconds. User Policy, Privacy & Disclaimer | Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06