Bantaba in Cyberspace
Bantaba in Cyberspace
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Gambian Cultural Forum
 Cultural guide: Music
 Louisa Marks dies in The Gambia
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
| More
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sab

United Kingdom
912 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2009 :  22:36:30  Show Profile Send sab a Private Message

You probably only know of Louisa if you are a reggae lover.

http://www.bnvillage.co.uk/entertainment-village/103888-louisa-marks-has-died.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPTB6-yXm4A&feature=related

Louisa founder and Queen of Lovers Rock. RIP

The world would be a poorer place if it was peopled by children whose parents risked nothing in the cause of social justice, for fear of personal loss. (Joe Slovo - African revolutionary)

Momodou

Denmark
9027 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2009 :  12:31:36  Show Profile Send Momodou a Private Message
Thanks for the info Sab. I saw this text from the link you gave above: "Louisa died of poisoning on Saturday 17th October 2009 in the Gambia where she was living at the time." How true is that?

May hear soul R.I.P.

A clear concience fears no accusation - proverb from Sierra Leone
Go to Top of Page

jambo

3300 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2009 :  19:42:50  Show Profile Send jambo a Private Message
i know the lady's music, was she on tour or was she residing in the gambia, any more news.
RIP, my thoughts are with her family.
Go to Top of Page

sab

United Kingdom
912 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2009 :  23:03:36  Show Profile Send sab a Private Message

Momodou – I heard the news from the Dotun Adebayo Sunday night programme on BBC London radio. Eventually news will follow as to the cause which could have come from surgery, injury or food.
Dotun's programmes are very good – I have made the link below because the programme this week not only covers Louisa Marks (after five minutes & main coverage with interviews after one hour) but also a debate on the police procedures in the UK on stop & search. One man having been stopped over one hundred times in twenty years.

So if you have an hour to spare maybe you would like to listen in.

Dotun Adebayo is co-founder of Colourtelly, Britain's first-ever general interest black internet television station. To save costs Adebayo uses his own house as the studio. When Colourtelly launched on Wednesday 1 August 2007 Adebayo had the aim of attracting 6000 subscribers in order to break even.

Dotun Adebayo also has property in The Gambia and is married to Louisa’s friend Carol Thompson who herself is Queen of Lovers Rock.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p004pxrl/Dotun_Adebayo_on_Sunday_18_10_2009/

http://www.obv.org.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1349&Itemid=152

sab

The world would be a poorer place if it was peopled by children whose parents risked nothing in the cause of social justice, for fear of personal loss. (Joe Slovo - African revolutionary)
Go to Top of Page

sab

United Kingdom
912 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2009 :  23:12:02  Show Profile Send sab a Private Message
Jambo - Louisa was residing in The Gambia and died at home.

Edited by - sab on 20 Oct 2009 12:27:00
Go to Top of Page

Momodou

Denmark
9027 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2009 :  19:41:57  Show Profile Send Momodou a Private Message
Sab, Thanks for the information and the URLs. I have been listening to the programme and its very interesting.

A clear concience fears no accusation - proverb from Sierra Leone
Go to Top of Page

rassimian

United Kingdom
125 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2009 :  14:41:28  Show Profile Send rassimian a Private Message
This is really sad news. Another reggae singer dies. Too many artists dying young.She was 39 years of age.What kind of 'poisoning' ? Does anyone have any more info. Was it food poisoning or blood poisoning or what?
For reggae lovers Wycliffe 'Steely'Johnson one half of Steely and Clevie, great musicians in their own right,died 1st September from a heart attack caused by kidney failure. He was 47 years of age and had suffered from diabetes. May they both RIP.
Go to Top of Page

rassimian

United Kingdom
125 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2009 :  14:43:29  Show Profile Send rassimian a Private Message
Soory folks Louisa was in fact 49 years old not 39 when she died. Still young though.
Go to Top of Page

rassimian

United Kingdom
125 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2009 :  14:58:20  Show Profile Send rassimian a Private Message
Just read somewhere on line that Louisa died of food poisoning but no further info. on this.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
| More
Jump To:
Bantaba in Cyberspace © 2005-2018 Nijii Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds. User Policy, Privacy & Disclaimer | Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06